- This event has passed.
Apply to Join the WA Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee
July 31, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
The Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee is a judicial branch entity established by RCW 2.53.010. It is responsible for overseeing the activities of the Office of Civil Legal Aid (OCLA), reviewing the performance of the OCLA Director and making recommendations to the Legislature, the Supreme Court and the Access to Justice Board on matters relating to the delivery of state-funded civil legal aid services.
The Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee consists of 11 members, four of whom are appointed by the Legislature, two by the Board for Judicial Administration, one by the Governor, one by the Washington State Bar Association and three by the Washington State Supreme Court, upon recommendation of the Access to Justice Board.
There are two open positions on the Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee for which letters of interest are invited. These positions are appointed by the Washington Supreme Court upon recommendation of the Access to Justice Board (ATJ Board). They are for terms that will end on June 30, 2020. The individuals appointed to these positions may seek reappointment for additional three-year terms. No compensation is provided for service on the Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee, but members are reimbursed for travel and other related expenses in accordance with general state policies.
The ATJ Board seeks individuals who:
- Have a demonstrated interest and history of involvement in working to ensure equity and justice for all in our state’s civil legal system
- Are committed to promoting bipartisan understanding of and support for state-funded civil legal aid services
- Are committed to effective non-partisan oversight of the state-funded civil legal aid system
- Offer relevant leadership experience and/or potential
- Offer relevant lived experience
- Understand and are committed to race equity on matters relating to the operation and impact of the state funded civil legal aid system and the broader law and justice system
- Help enhance the racial, ethnic, cultural, religious, geographic and other diversity of the Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee
Individuals interested in appointment to the Civil Legal Aid Oversight Committee should send a cover letter and resume by 5pm on August 31, 2017, to:
Diana Singleton, ATJ Program Manager
Washington State Bar Association
1325 Fourth Ave., Sixth Floor Seattle, WA 98101-2539
Applications can also be sent electronically to email@example.com.