JustLead Washington seeks applicants for its 2019 Leadership Academy, a nine-month cohort-based experience designed to build a broad network of community leaders who can effectively and collaboratively work toward equity and justice throughout Washington State. The Leadership Academy was initially developed in 2013 in partnership with the Washington State Access to Justice Board and intentionally draws Fellows from organizations working within the law and justice systems, community-based social justice organizations, and other partners who seek to use law and justice tools to end poverty, racism, and other forms of structural oppression.
The Academy will run from September 2019 to June 2020. Fellows participate in four training retreats and engage in monthly virtual meetings between retreats. Applications are due by Monday, June 24, 2019. Read on for program details, dates, and application instructions.
About the Leadership Academy
The Leadership Academy and JustLead Washington aim toward a society where everyone “belongs” within what Professor john a. powell has called the Circle of Human Concern as full members of society, without exception. As such, our curriculum expressly focuses on increasing understanding of the ways in which poverty, systemic racism, and other forms of bias and oppression intersect and create harm, particularly within low-income communities and communities of color.
The Academy’s core curriculum was initially developed in partnership with the Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law and is designed specifically to enhance the adaptive leadership capacity of advocates and organizations working toward equity & justice within Washington State. Fellows learn and practice several core leadership competencies, such as:
- Communicating Strategic Intent (with an emphasis on narrative storytelling)
- Enhancing Self-Awareness & Other-Awareness
- Achieving Workable Unity Across Difference (with an emphasis on equity and inclusion)
- Engaging in Systems and Strategic Thinking
- Delivering on Strategic Intent (translating your mission, vision, and values into action)
- Developing Leadership Capacity in Others
- Fostering Processes of Individual, Organizational, and Community Renewal
- Building Competence and Confidence for Anti-Racism and Pro-Equity Work
Leadership Academy retreats are scheduled for September 19-21, December 12-14, March 5-7, and June 4-6. Three retreats (including the first retreat) will occur in Seattle and one retreat will be in Spokane. Retreats typically begin at 10:00am on Thursday and end by 3:00pm on Saturday.
Applicants must commit to attending all in-person retreats and participating in approximately 2-4 hours per month of work in between retreats (mix of online learning and individual preparation activities). Virtual meetings will be scheduled in advance with input from selected Fellows. Fellows will also be invited to participate in a regional gathering with other Fellows and Alumni (tentatively planned for Seattle, Olympia, Bellingham, Spokane, and Yakima). As described in detail below, all program, travel, and lodging costs are covered as needed.
Before submitting an application, please review additional information about the Leadership Academy’s selection criteria and costs.
Applications must be completed and submitted no later than Monday, June 24, 2019, at 5:00pm. Interested applicants have two options for submitting a complete application:
- Online Application (Preferred)
- Email Submission
Option 1: Online Application
In addition to an online form you will also be asked to upload two documents as part of your application:
- A Resume or Summary of Relevant Professional & Volunteer experience (no more than 2 pages), and
- An Employer/Sponsoring Organization Letter of Support
If you do not have a direct supervisor/employer (e.g. you are self-employed, an Executive Director, or are applying in your capacity as a board member or volunteer) you may have a board member or representative of a partnering organization complete this letter of support.
Option 2: Submit Application by Email
Email a completed application packet to
A complete application must include:
- Application Form [DOC]
- Resume or Summary of Relevant Professional & Volunteer Experience (no more than 2 pages)
- Employer/Sponsoring Organization Letter of Support[DOC] If you do not have a direct supervisor/employer (e.g. you are self-employed, an Executive Director, or are applying in your capacity as a board member or volunteer) you may have a board
member or sponsor from a partnering organization complete this letter of support.
Review the application before submitting online or download for email submission.
Leadership Academy Application Form [DOC]
Employer/Sponsoring Organization Letter of Support [DOC]
Questions & Assistance
If you need assistance to complete your application or have any questions or problems regarding your application, please contact email@example.com.